Preparing for Podcast

 

I arranged to have three of my paintings setup at a podcast studio, NAST Studios, in Pioneer Square in Seattle. The paintings will be there for the months of October and November. Doing this will also include a podcast that will be hosted by Blake "NAST” Burton the host of the “NAST Podcast.” I haven't done anything like this so it will be a new experience. The podcast will be recorded on October 10th so I will likely post it here on October 11th if there isn't too much editing required. I will need to get ready by thinking of my art process and how I got to what I am doing now. I never thought about it much but there is a process. The three paintings represented here each have a story I could tell around how I got to them. Not necessarily an interesting story, but a story. A painting starts out as an idea and then has to move into execution. Some paintings start out as Y and end up as X. For example, the three toy horses are based on a toy I found at Goodwill. I thought I would simply paint it with a basic background but then started putting in that desert scene. At some point, I decided to repeat them and have the rocker be in a different position for each one. I had a vision of one of the first series of photos of a running horse shot in 1878.

Of course, my little wooden horse doesn't duplicate this movement, but that is where the idea came from. Did it work? Maybe. My point is that there is plenty to talk about when it comes to describing what is behind a painting. Each painting I have done has a story of where the idea came from and what happened to that idea when it had to be translated through my limited skills and understanding of the materials I am using. In that sense, each painting is an opportunity to learn. Each painting becomes a dance between what I am capable of doing and what result I would like to achieve. It's all a compromise. Push your limits but try to produce work that makes sense. 

Keep painting, 
G Bauer 

Comments

Popular Posts