Radish Portrait - Still Life

I have moved from my portrait phase to my small still life phase. I completed 12 portraits in a row selling five of them. After that experience, I can see why many painters avoid doing portraits. First, for me at least, they take a lot of time and there is always something wrong. As John Singer Sargent said, "A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth." Everyone can quickly recognize when there is something wrong with a face but there is little they can say about a cluster of radishes. Sure, there is a natural color to a radish but it's a broad range of reds to nearly white. As to shape? They can be anything oval looking. A radish painting is forgiving while a human portrait is not. Here is to veggie and fruit portraits.  

Radishes (10x10 oil on wood panel)


What's next? I am looking at a peach still-life. 

Keep working! 

Comments

Popular Posts